Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DCU Holiday Bash: 2 shorts

Well it is after Christmas. All the gifts have been unwrapped, all the parties have ended, and all the clothes your mom bought for you have been exchanged at the store for clothes you would rather wear. Except for the underwear. Those you are stuck with. Sorry.

Anyway, I do hope you all had a good holiday. Mine was a strange mix between busy and slow. Sometimes all in the same day. But even with all the Christmas events going on, I still wanted to make sure that I was able to keep to my upload schedule. On the other hand, I am lazy, so this week I'm going to do two short, two page comics. So let's turn off our brains and grab some leftover candy canes, this is DCU Holiday Bash: Satan's Little Helper and Just Another Night.



Christmas eve is a time for evil? Uh, yeah, going to play my BS card on that. Well turns out it is the time for the demon Etrigan to do some underworld dealings. He tells our summoner that he can only gain one object from the box, any object that he can think of, and the cost is his soul. Summoner says that is more then worth it but right as he is about to pull his object out, his little girl comes in and sees all this! What this comic doesn't tell you is that that girl most likely becomes very heavy in the goth world and magic spells when she grows up. At least that is what I think. Anyway, little Cindy sees this and is very confused.


Dad, in all his genius, says that guy is one of Santa's helpers. So what does Santa bring? Why gifts in his box of course. so cindy reaches in and pulls out a Batman action figure with pull cord voice. Etrigan says the deal is done and goes back to the underworld, the fathers soul his for all of time. Oh well, at least Cindy got a toy out of it. And I love how the toy says "I'm Batman". I so get that old 90's version of that line in my head.


This is a quiet story. No words are spoken, but man does this comic feel deep. The story shows Alfred, the most awesome, semi normal human ever in all of DC, spending christmas at the Wayne manor. He gets a card from young master Tim that tells the reader where Robin is. He turn puts the card down and opens up the way to the bat cave. He goes down into the cave and looks at the costume, showing that Alfred misses Tim, much like how Alfred most likely missed Bruce when Bruce was off doing training for many years.


As Alfred dusts the Bat computer, Master Bruce comes down the stairs ready for work. Alfred gives him his cloak and cowl as Batman gets into his mobile and drives off. Alfred is saddened by this, hopeing that Master Bruce could have taken the night off to spend Christmas with him. But soon Alfred knows that might not ever happen, so he goes back to work. It is now that he notices the gift on the table. It is a present from Master Bruce to Alfred. This makes Alfred happy that even Master Bruce remembered the holiday and, in his own way, says that he loves Alfred as a friend and a member of his family. Like I said, the comic does not have any words or even any sounds, but it speaks volumes.

Well these were fun stories if I do say so. the Alfred one has some great art and expressions, which is needed since there were no words at all. The Etrigan was another great story, mixing in a good bit of humor with such a serious event (for dad at least). But with this week over, Christmas time has ended. Next time you all well see me is when the new year starts. But do not worry. I have an idea on how to start the year and many more comics that I plan on reviewing. So to all, thank you for the half a year support and I hope that you will continue to watch me over this next year as well.

All images are owned by DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment